Pension & 401K | Fidelity Service Center

401K & H.S.A (health savings accounts) 800-416-2363;

Pension & Financial Engines:

Financial Planning Help

Many of you already have resources you can turn to for help sorting out the retirement plans (401K & pension decision) and are very happy using AON to buy your supplemental health and/or dental/vision insurance when you are medicare-eligible.  BUT — if you don’t, and you want a referral to people whom I personally know and trust…… feel free to reach out to either Lou or Irene.  They are both here in NJ, although they are both licensed in multiple states.

Lou can help you with 401k, Pension or general financial planning as well as replacing your AT&T Group Life Insurance with an individual policy which could cost less (mine did, by more than half).

Irene is a medicare expert, as well as a social security expert, and while there are some things you MUST do through AON in order to get your annual HSA money to cover your supplemental insurance, you DO NOT have to buy your supplemental insurance all through AON, and in fact, AON may not have the best options for you.  So be sure to shop around.

Lou (my husband) 973-267-2555 | or

Medicare Agent/Broker – Irene (my husband’s colleague)| 908-698-4339  |


COBRA/CEC for Medical, Dental, Vision (ex-employees under 65 years of age), and EAP, CarePlus:  AT&T Benefits Center 877-722-0020

Long Term Care through John Hancock:  800-732-3220

Supplemental Life Insurance – call the AT&T Benefits Center 800-722-0020

HR Onestop & Payroll Related Items

AT&T HR OneStop:

Flexible Spending Account (FSA): ADP 800-283-3211 or

Health Savings Account (HSA): Fidelity Service Center 800-416-2363

Deferred Compensation (3rd level and above): 800-336-7920

Severance Payment Status:  888-722-1787

AT&T Payroll:  888-722-1787 at prompt say “Payroll”


Legacy DTV employees that had access to iPay before can still use it to retrieve an electronic copy of their W2s. It’s the folks that never set up an iPay account with ADP that will have to wait for a paper copy of their W2. Link to ADP – The site is

Legacy AT&T employees that have left and are having issues with their Equifax PIN, they can call OneStop 877-722-1787 and say “Policy” to talk to an HR Customer Care Agent. The agent will take the call and they ask for a one-time PIN to access their 2016 W2 on the Equifax website. The HRCC will coordinate with Equifax and call the withdrawn employee back.Show less

Retiree Contacts

AT&T Retiree Website:

AT&T Retiree Discount Self-Service:


Career Change Support


PWC Talent Exchange:


NJ State Career Connections:

Virtual Vocations (has a section for telecommute-friendly companies):